My last post of the year ... I've had so much to post and been so busy this month that it's taken me awhile to catch up. And though I could still post a lot more, I did double my posts from 2011 to 2012. I'm going in the right direction, I guess.
Some of the funny things Sawyer has said this Christmas ...
Decorator's choice: Our stockings are the same kind my brother and I had as a kid. They're red fur with white fur at the top like Santa's outfit. When I hung them, I asked Sawyer what they were. Last year, he called them socks. This year, he thought for a moment and said, "Santa's feet!"
More feet problems: I tried in the fall to only buy Sawyer 2-piece pajamas. I have a thing against footed pajamas. They're incredibly cute on babies and young toddlers, but I just think they look so uncomfortable for older kids. And I like having my feet loose when I sleep. Footed pajamas give me a touch of claustrophobia. But I found several cute Christmasy pairs at the kids consignment sales I shop in the fall. I couldn't resist. When it started getting cold enough to wear them, Sawyer expressed his dislike of them, too. On several mornings, he's woken up and told me, "Mom, I'm stuck in my pajamas!"
Christmas songs with a twist: Sawyer has learned a lot more Christmas tunes this year, some at school and some at home. But he needs to work on the lyrics a bit.
"Frosty the Snowman" sounds something like this.
Frosty the Snowman
Was a jobby, happy snow
With a cornpaw pipe
And a button nose
And a try made out of coal.
I have no idea where he got these words because he knew the right words last Christmas after watching "Frosty the Snowman" 873 times.
My other favorite: "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."
You better watch out.
You better not shout.
You better not cry
I'm telling you why.
Santa Claus is Coming to Town.
Burn notice: Sawyer was very concerned that Santa would get burned in our fireplace. It never occurred to me to worry about this, because we never build a fire, much to my regret. I hoped to have one at Sawyer's birthday party, but it was too warm and Ray was worried the kids might mess with it. We try to always have one on Christmas morning, but on Christmas Eve, Sawyer kept telling us that Santa would get burned coming down the chimney. I assured him that there was no fire so Santa would be fine. When he came downstairs on Christmas morning and saw the fire Ray had built, he was upset. "Oh no, Santa got burned!" He's mentioned it several times since then.
Candy rationing: Sawyer has been VERY candy-crazy since Halloween. He's constantly asking for candy, so I purposefully didn't want to fill his stocking with candy. I bought him one of those big plastic candy canes with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in it. He wanted to open it immediately. Ray also had candy in his stocking, but he asked Sawyer for a Reese's Cup to see if he'd share. Sawyer almost always shares readily. Ray said, "May I have one?" and Sawyer said, "Yes, you may," and pulled out a piece to give him. Then he looked up at Ray and said, "You can have another piece after lunch."
Laws of nature: Later on Christmas Day when the fire was mostly coals and ashes, Sawyer walked in the living room and looked at the fireplace and said, "Mom, mom! The fire has melted."
Affectionate times three: Sawyer has always been very loving and he frequently gives hugs and kisses, but he's ramped it up lately. I bet he's said, "Mom, can I have a hugandakiss?" (It's usually all smushed together like one word.) Even worse, he's learned to ask for one when you're aggravated with him or trying to get him to do something else (like pick up toys or find his shoes). Occasionally, he sounds very French when he does the shorthand request with arms stretched wide: "Hug, kiss?"
Show some love: He's also been on this big kick about his family. I know his preschool class has talked about family some, but I know he missed part of that when he was sick for a week at Thanksgiving. Still, Sawyer has been randomly saying these things to Ray and me: "I love being wif my family." "Mom, I love you and Daddy.""Mom, I love being wif you."
Misunderstanding: We have a foldout stepstool/seat next to the island in our kitchen that I sit on when we're eating. Sawyer has been using it lately to help me cook or to climb up and sneak candy off the counter. I was sitting on it the other day while we were eating snacks and Sawyer wanted to sit on my lap. I had my legs spread wide to keep my balance, so I put Sawyer on one knee and was bouncing him. He kept saying something about clothes and I didn't understand what he was talking about. He was getting frustrated. Finally, he pointed to my other leg and said, "Put this leg next to the other one." He wanted me to "close/clothes" my legs so he could sit on both of them.
Logic you can't argue: I had finished lunch and was eating a few mini Oreos. Sawyer wanted some, and I said he could have some after he ate something for lunch (he's been refusing to eat or to eat what we offer him lately) ... like a sandwich. He looked up at me with the most beguiling smile and twinkle in his eye and pointed to the Oreos and said, "THESE are sandwiches." That little rat is gonna be trouble one day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment