Monday, December 3, 2012

Everybody loves a parade, right?

This is the first of several Christmas posts I've been needing to catch up on. (I'm going to post-date them so they stay in the right order.)

It's been a rough six weeks at the Burton home. We were all sick for Thanksgiving, so much so that Sawyer and I both made trips to the ER .. he had an allergic reaction to a round of antibiotic shots for pink eye and an ear infection (the worst torture ever) and I had a terrible virus. The weekend after Thanksgiving, I ended up getting pink eye and an ear infection. It was horrible. The doctor I saw told me her whole family had suffered the same stuff and it took about four weeks to get over. Ray had it too, though not as badly as Sawyer and me. True to her word, it was a good four weeks after my symptoms started that I began to feel better.

After being so sick, I decided I couldn't join my News & Record co-workers to wrangle the giant balloon in the Christmas parade. The ear infection pain was gone, but I still had a lot of fluid and some dizziness. I was sad to have to back out, but I knew it was more than I should attempt.

I decided that I felt good enough to take Sawyer to watch though. I've never actually been as a spectator. He and I have been to several summertime parades, but the only times I've gone to the Christmas parade was when I was helping with the balloon.

The weather was very warm, so we walked downtown and got a spot in front of the News & Record. Sawyer was amused by some of the floats and groups. He liked the balloons, especially Thomas the Tank Engine (a new one).

parade1


parade2

But mostly he loved the bands.

parade3
Dudley High School band (the best high school band in the parade)

The kid danced in the street like there was no tomorrow. I had to yell at him a few times because he was getting so into the music and not paying attention to where he was that I thought the band would mow him down.

parade4

parade9

parade10
The N.C. A&T Marching Machine (best band around)

parade11
So good they were in this year's Macy's parade

He and the boy next to us ran around like crazy people chasing down candy, and then Sawyer pestered me the rest of the afternoon to eat it.

parade5
My favorite outfits

parade7
Antique firetruck

parade8
Every snowman is Frosty to Sawyer

parade12
The News & Record's balloon, Word Girl

parade13
Chick-fil-A cows

parade14
He's afraid to talk to Guilford, the Grasshoppers' mascot, who we see a million times a summer. But he'll walk right up to a giant cow.

parade15
And finally, Santa and the end of the parade. I thought it would never end. I realized how much I hate sitting to watch parades and how much I really love being IN the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment