I had never seen it. Ray hadn't seen it since he was a kid. And one of our babysitters was dancing in it. We got dressed up and went to the beautiful historic theater where it's held every Christmas. It was magical.
I had never liked the music from "The Nutcracker." It's used in dozens of Christmas films and commercials, often poorly. But seeing the ballet finally made me understand some of the music better. The costumes were magnificent. And the other young children in the audience were entranced by the show.
We started talking about taking Sawyer. I wasn't sure he could sit through the whole performance, but I thought he'd love the dancing and music. And I thought it would be fun for him to see his babysitter while she's still performing in it.
I had talked myself out of buying the expensive tickets and waiting until next year. Until we got an unexpected bonus at work. Then I decided "life is too short." I bought the cheapest tickets, which were WAY up in the nosebleeds. Probably not the best decision.
We all got dressed up and went in the rain for the Sunday afternoon matinee the day after his big birthday celebration.
He was a bit restless during the first half. But I found a piece of candy in my purse and that kept him quiet. At intermission, he and Ray went outside so Sawyer could run around a bit. I stood in line and bought him popcorn and a drink to keep him busy during the show.

He was a little better in the beginning of the second half, but got bored by the end. Frankly, I did too. Ray and I agreed afterward that the first performance was better. It just seemed more in step with the music. Our babysitter, KK, was again wonderful to watch. She's dedicated years of her life to dance, and it shows. We pointed her out to Sawyer when she was on stage, but I'm not sure he really could recognize her from so far away. I think Sawyer probably would've been more interested if could've seen better and been closer to the action.

We had made arrangements to meet her after the show, so we hung out in the lobby until she came out to hug Sawyer. After the show, we went for a very early family dinner and then drove through some Christmas lights.
I think we'll try again when Sawyer is a couple years older and I can swing the up-close tickets.

No comments:
Post a Comment