Sunday, February 19, 2012

We interrupt this regularly scheduled Wednesday

Sawyer and I have had a rough couple of weeks. Being sick is bad enough, which both of us have been for the better part of three weeks. Being sick and being stuck inside while it's cold leads to being sick of each other.

We are both starting to feel better, so I was delighted when the weather turned nice enough Wednesday to get outside and have some fun.

Sawyer woke up super early that morning, so it was hard for me to get moving after snoozing a bit more on the couch while he played climbed all over me.

About noon, we were finally dressed and out the door to run an errand, something that can quickly dissolved into disaster is Sawyer is grouchy. He happily checked out toys in the lobby of our insurance office (how cool that they have toys!) while I paid our bill. It took no time, so I was a little nervous that he'd pitch a fit when I said it was time to leave after just a few minutes.

But he came willingly. The fit came when he realized we were getting back in the car after only five minutes out of it.

I bartered with him. "How about we go to the park?" I said?

He blinked hard and the tears stopped for just a second. I knew I'd hooked him. I told him we could go down the slide. And he nodded and said, "OK, mama."

We set off for the park. I wasn't sure which one to go to. Greensboro has dozens, and I always like to try new ones, but I knew we didn't have that much time. 1) I had to go to work and 2) he would fall asleep if I drove too far. I decided on Fisher Park, the next neighborhood over from ours. We have our own park on the street behind our house. We can walk there in a few minutes, but I get bored going there.




Fisher Park was perfect, and so was our visit. We spent the first few minutes walking the trails and pathways to see the stone bridges and tiny creek. Sawyer picked up acorns and gum balls off the trees. I pointed out birds and squirrels. We both tipped our heads back to watch an airplane fly over.


Then we hit the playground. He went down the slide a zillion times. He climbed up every ladder and step to reach the top. He went through the tunnel and walked on the balance beam (with some help).






And the icing on the cake: A train went by. The tracks are right across the street from this park, so you can see the trains perfectly. He was super excited.


It was a delightful break in an ordinary day. Until I put him back in the car.

After a bath and lunch, he was out cold for a nap ... he was too worn out to fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment