Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sawyer says ...

A few of the funny things Sawyer is saying now (along with a handful of cute photos from last weekend's second baseball game, which I never blogged about):

Hold you: When Sawyer wants to be picked up, he raises his arms and says, “Hold you” instead of “hold me.” Since I generally say, “Do you want me to hold you?” … this makes perfect sense to me.


Dang pronouns: In addition to be baffled by that you/me thing, Sawyer often drops “you” when he’s giving you an item. Instead of saying, “Here you go,” he says, “here go.”


Southern boy: Sawyer can easily stretch any one-syllable word into three or four. Sometimes his drawl is sooooooo long that it makes the word impossible to understand. As I like to say, you know you’re Southern when you can say the alphabet with multiple syllables.

Octopus: I’m not even sure I can duplicate how Sawyer pronounces eight-legged creatures. It’s something like opple-pas. However he says it, it’s darn cute.

Goldfish: For awhile, Sawyer ate his weight in Goldfish crackers. Then he wouldn't eat them for a few months. We've started buying them again, and he asks for them a lot. Or he wants to play cards. "Gofish, gofish!"



Weird cravings: Sawyer often takes the bread off sandwiches and just eats the meat. So I quit making him true sandwiches. I take thin-sliced turkey and roll it up like cigars. Sawyer calls them turkey snakes.

Slithering snakeskins: Speaking of snakes, I found a teeny snakeskin (maybe 6 inches long and as big around as a pencil) in our neighbor's yard the other day when were playing. I showed it to Sawyer and told him he could touch it if he wanted to. Naturally, he picked it right up and started playing with it. As we were walking back across the yard, he held it up and went "Sssssssss."


Hank: Sawyer and our black Lab have a love-hate relationship. Sawyer loves to torment Hank, and Hank hates to be mean back (because he knows we will fuss at him). Seriously, Sawyer does love Hank. He hugs him a lot and wants to lay on him, but Hank would prefer a little less contact. Sawyer also likes to take Hank’s toys or tennis balls and throw them. When Hank brings them back, Sawyer screams, “(D)ROP. ROP it Hank!” Hank occasionally obliges. Mostly, Sawyer likes to chase Hank with this push cart he has. He will run all over him, and Hank will scramble and skid across the hardwood floor the other direction. Sawyer thinks it’s the most hilarious game ever. (And frankly, it is.) At the top of the stairs, Sawyer mimics what he’s heard me say a million times: “Go, Hank, go!” My favorite part is that he alternates between calling Hank a “good boy” and a “big boy.”

Boy or bear? I was buckling Sawyer into his car seat the other day. We were headed to the park, so Hank was sitting beside him. I asked if he was going to ride beside Hank, and he said, “Hank, big boy.” I asked Sawyer if he was a big boy, thinking that he might make the connection since we’ve been talking about him sleeping in his big boy bed. He said, “No, I little boy.” I said, “You’re a little boy?” And he said, “I little bear.”



Dropped calls: Though I have already mentioned a few times how Sawyer has started dropping the “where” when he’s looking for someone, it's my favorite thing he says. “Mama, are you??” “Hank, are you?” “Are you, Daddy?”

Obsessed much: I need to do an official count, but I think Sawyer probably says “train” or “track” or “train track” at least 100 times a day. A toy engine or car is almost always in his hand (which causes us to misplace them all the time).



Thomas videos: I bought Sawyer a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs last month because he wants to watch them ALL the time, and I got sick of hearing the same one play over and over. For the record, Thomas has definitely replaced Elmo as my most-hated character. Not only is the music and language in Thomas super annoying, but I think the characters do some down-right mean things to each other. And I’m sure the “lesson” is lost on a 2-year-old. The scariest part, though, is that Sawyer has every character memorized. There are 8 to 10 main characters, and between segments or at the beginning of the DVDs, it flashes through images of each of them with a nameplate. On some of the videos, the narrator says their names. The other day we were watching a clip that showed the pictures but did not say the names. Sawyer named every last one of them. "Thomas. James. Percy. Edward. Henry. Gordon. Toby. Bertie. Emily. Terence." You can show him pictures or stickers, and he still knows them. I need to show him DVDs of the periodic table.

Enthusiasm: When Sawyer is in a good mood, he likes to answer in duplicate or triplicate.
Sawyer, do you want milk?
"Yeah, yeah."
"Do you want peanut butter and jelly?"
"Yeah, yeah, yeah!"










1 comment:

  1. My nephew who is 3-1/2 used to say "Hold you" too. He can tell you all the characters in Thomas's land, too. Even the ones that are twins, he can tell them apart. Uncanny!

    ReplyDelete