Sunday, February 19, 2012

The busy little boy

We took full advantage of the springlike weather this weekend. Clearly, being sick and cooped up inside has gotten to me. And I just didn't want to stay home and do loads of laundry.

Thursday was rainy, but we still had a fun day going to Burlington with friends to visit a giant fabric outlet. Sawyer woke up really early and then slept the whole way there, and lucky for us, the whole time we were in the outlet, which would've bored him to no end.


We stopped for lunch on the way back where Sawyer stole French fries off my friend Margaret's plate. The first one caught me off guard, so when he grabbed the second one, I fussed at him and told him that he had to ask Margaret for one before he could take it. True to toddler form, he sheepishly put the stolen fry back on her plate.

We spent the rest of the day inside, out of the cold rain, enjoying Thomas the Train movies. Ray had a late meeting, so Sawyer and I endulged by making cookies with "Ms" (his term for M&Ms") in them.

Friday was another lovely day. The only thing on my agenda was catching our first baseball game of the year.

One of my favorite thrift stores downtown was having its big winter clearance sale, and we got moving and out of the house just in time to catch the last hour of it. By the time I drove 1.2 miles downtown, Sawyer was asleep. I managed to get him in the stroller and to the store asleep. Unfortunately, the store was practically picked clean. I still had an hour on the parking meter and a sleeping boy, so I wandered down to the library for an hour. It was a nice change of pace from the other times I've taken Sawyer, both of which sparked meltdowns.

When our hour was up and I put Sawyer back in the car, he woke up. I asked if he still wanted to go to the baseball game and he said yes. However, we had about two hours to kill before it started. I decided we'd grab a picnic lunch and then visit the ducks at the Bog Garden, one of his favorite things we do.

We picked up Lunchables, chips and drinks at the grocery store and headed to Bicentennial Garden, which was buzzing with activity. I have NEVER seen so many people there. After eating and pointing out airplanes flying overhead, we walked over to the Bog Garden. I'd hyped seeing the ducks for about an hour by this point, so Sawyer was ready for me to deliver.

bog3

We got to the first clearing by the water, and there were no ducks.

Now, the Bog Garden is one of Greensboro's more serene parks. It's shady and quiet, and I always feel like we might be ruining someone's nature experience if we're too loud.

bog1


Which is why I cringed when Sawyer started yelling, "DUCKS!!! ARE YOU???" For reasons unknown, Sawyer has started dropping the "where" when he's looking for someone. "Mama, are you?" "Hank, are you?" He knows "where" and he uses it other times, so I'm not sure why this started but it makes me laugh every time I hear it.

bog2

I shushed him and said the ducks would be scared away if he kept yelling. He was mad and did not want to keep going. I'm sure he thought I'd been lying to him all day about seeing ducks. Thankfully, I got him pepped back up and we found the ducks about 20 more feet down the trail.

bog4

bog5

bog6

bog7

We walked the whole park, saw plenty of ducks, passed many other walkers and "puppies" and still had enough energy for a couple hours of a UNCG baseball game.

bog8
"Bye, ducks," he said waving as we left the park.

At the game, he did laps up and down our row (which was empty) and flirted shameless with the three college girls nearby who were ooohing and ahhing over how cute he was.



2012-02-17_17-17-54_955

He watched longingly as some older kids rolled down a grassy hill behind the dugout. I finally gave in and let him roll down it knowing that A) he had on khaki pants and they would get covered in grass stains and B) I would have to be ready to dive for any line-drive foul balls coming near him. I figured you're only a kid once and rolling down a grassy hill is sort of a requirement at some point. He was having fun and protested heavily when I decided it was cold and time to leave.

As my friend (who doesn't have kids) put it after hearing about our weekend, "Whew. It takes a lot to wear him out, huh?"



No comments:

Post a Comment