I’ve had several posts in mind to write, but the whole family has been sick for much of the past two weeks.
Sawyer got it first, and then I started feeling bad. Ray was out of town for the worst part, but Grandmother was here visiting and I think she got it.
Then Ray came home and he’s been sick this week.
Along with a terrible cold and cough, I’ve had insomnia and Sawyer’s been waking up in the middle of every night.
It’s been good times at the Burton house.
Grandmother and I took a very clingy, subdued Sawyer to the doctor last week and they said he had double ear infections. And the worst cough I’ve ever heard in such a small boy.

We went for ice cream after the doctor. It was the first thing he showed an interest in eating in two days.
They gave us a new antibiotic to try and warned us that it didn’t taste good.

We took the doctor's advice and followed the medicine with a shot of chocolate sauce. It helped a little.
It took both Grandmother and me to get a dose in him the first two days, but he quit fighting it when he learned a treat (thanks to a big helping of parental guilt) would follow the medicine. So he’s gotten suckers after most doses.
Thankfully, he’s feeling much better; I’ve started sleeping again, and I think Ray is over the worst of it.

Clearly feeling better at a UNCG basketball game!
As a result of the ear infections (Sawyer’s had multiple ones since October and been sick most of that time), we’re looking into ear tubes. I took Sawyer to the ear, nose and throat doctor, who says he thinks they would make a big difference. We’re still a little on the fence after reading conflicting research, but we really want to end this cycle of getting sick and being given antibiotic after antibiotic.
Sawyer astounded me at the ENT. They needed to lay him on a table and look in his ears. The doc warned me that most 2-year-olds hated this part and would fuss. I told him Sawyer was usually good at the pediatrician’s office but probably wouldn’t like being forced to lie down.
He was a still as a mouse while the doctor checked his ears. He tried to squirm once, and I held his arms still. He whimpered like a puppy and looked up at me with those big blue eyes like, “Please don’t let them hurt me.” I was so torn between laughing and crying. Mostly, I wanted to scoop him up and hug him.
The nurse and doctor both remarked about how well-behaved he was and said very few toddlers stay that calm. I fought the urge to say, “Give him five minutes.”
True to form, it didn’t take that long. While waiting for his hearing test, he belly-flopped into a huge meltdown because I told him not to walk down a hallway (and it was naptime).
You gotta love life with a toddler. From happy to sad in 60 seconds.

No comments:
Post a Comment