Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Snow, finally



Sawyer got to play in the snow this morning. I use the terms "snow" and "play" loosely.

We got maybe 2 inches of snow Sunday night. It started at sleet and progressed to lovely white flakes. At dinnertime, I turned on the floodlight in our backyard and took Sawyer to the door. "Whoa," he said, looking up in amazement. "Snow."

By the time I came home from work, much of the snow was starting to disappear. The roads were pretty clear, but there was still plenty of white stuff on the ground and the cars.

I scraped enough off the hood of my car to build a very small snowman, and I carried it to the front porch where Sawyer could see it in the morning.

Morning came way too early at our house, with Sawyer waking up about 4:30 a.m. and having no desire to go back to sleep. He's learned to climb out of the crib (more on that soon), so I knew it would be pointless to put him back to bed unwillingly.

He and I went downstairs to the den where I slept on the couch and he slept on the oversized chair. Not the greatest sleep (for me, anyway), but at least I wasn't worried about him falling out of the crib. 

When I saw the sunshine streaming in the den, I was afraid the snow would be gone before we could get dressed and get outside. But we made it before it all melted.

It was a pretty pitiful snow, however. And it was so warm that Sawyer was way overdressed in the ski bib and jacket I bought back in the fall, when I was sure he'd get to play in the snow this winter.



The snow was melting fast, and sledding was more muddy than fun, especially when you're so bundled up you can hardly sit down.



The highlight of his morning ... I'd pack a snowball from snow on the car and he'd throw it and laugh when it busted it up. Not exactly my vision of romping in the snow.




Oh, well. He had fun.

Thankfully, toddlers are impressed by the smallest things, even a foot-high snowman.  

snow1

No comments:

Post a Comment