Longest editor's note in the history of time:
So, I wrote out a list of goals for myself this year. I’m
not sure I’ve ever done that. I usually half-heartedly choose a New Year’s
resolution — diets, workouts, budgets and more. They’ve rarely survived past
February or March. I’m more like a sprinter than an endurance runner. I start
things when the mood strikes and stick with them as long as I’m not bored.
I did a photo challenge in 2012. I was taking lots of pictures of
Sawyer, who was 2, but I wanted to push myself to take photos of more everyday
things — the smaller events of our life, the stuff that was funny or irritating
or just eternal. The things I probably wouldn’t notice or remember if I didn’t
force myself to think about taking photos every day. I did an OK job, but I got
sick several times in late November and December. I missed my goal by 10 or 12
photos. And it bugged me because the challenge was fun for me (and I just don’t
like failing).
I decided to try it again last year to see if I could
accomplish all 365 days. And I did. I did not miss posting one day. There were
days I shot terrible photos just to meet the requirement, days I was too busy
to stop for a picture, and days — despite that rule about actions becoming
habits after 21 days — that I forgot till 10 p.m. that I needed to shoot something.
But I did not let a day pass without putting something out there. And
surprisingly, lots of people said they enjoyed it.
So, back to my 2016 goals: I made a colorful list. I hung it
on my fridge. And I’m working toward some things I am not sure I will achieve. One of them is trying to blog at least once a week. I disappeared from
the blog for more than a year. I had many photo issues in late 2014, and the
blog got more frustrating than fun.
But I miss it. Mostly, I miss being able to look back on
glimpses of our life, our triumphs and our struggles. They remind me that,
“This too shall pass,” and that applies equally to good times and bad.
So feel free to hold me accountable. I want to go the
distance on this one.
WEEK 1: 10 QUESTIONS
To help me get back in the blogging habit, I’m going to
cheat a little and start the 10 Questions post. I hope to do this every week,
but if I get back to writing regular posts, I might only use this when I’m
stumped for something else to write about.
1. What we’re
finishing: We’re finally putting away the Christmas decorations and getting
the house back to its normal state of chaos. We had lots going on in December
(a business trip to Texas, several parties and meetings at night, Sawyer’s
birthday) so we got decorations up quite late. I guess that gives us an excuse
to stretch them a little longer into January. But I’m ready for them to be put
away. Sawyer helped take down about three ornaments before I shooed him to den.
I like making him help, but sometimes it’s so much faster and easier to just do
it alone.
2. What we’re
starting: Going back to school. Sawyer was ready. We were ready. It was
nice having a break from the routine. I enjoyed not having to rush in the
morning like we do on school days. (Ugh, our lives would be so much easier if
we were all early risers and got up at 6 in time to do calisthenics, shower and
eat pancakes before leaving. Alas, that is not us.) But after spending the week
of Christmas at home every day — largely stuck inside because of torrential
rain — and spending a few days at Grandmother’s house, Sawyer was bored and
starting to fall apart from the lack of routine. He admitted that he was ready
to see his friends and teachers.
3. One hard thing:
Only one? It seems like a lot of things have gotten hard with Sawyer lately.
He’s become a picky eater, refusing to eat things we cook. He’s not a fan of
trying new foods, which makes dinner difficult. He’s becoming sassier. At least
with me. I have no idea how to type it, but I caught him mocking/mimicking me
when he thought I wasn’t looking. That thing you do where you scrunch up your
face and move your lips in pretend criticism — usually just after being
lectured when you think the person is turned the other way. Does that have a
name? Anyway, he and I have been butting heads a lot lately. We used to be such
buddies — he loved doing anything with me. Now, when I pick him up at school, I
get a sigh and an eye roll. Because I’m not Dad. Dad is the cooler one now. So
that’s been hard for me.


4. One easy thing:
Bedtime. It still surprises me how little we have to push Sawyer to go to bed.
It’s still a struggle to get him to brush teeth, use the bathroom and get
pajamas on — QUICKLY — but he doesn’t really argue when we say it’s time to get
ready. He knows his bedtime and sometimes will even tell us if we’ve forgotten
to keep an eye on the clock. We went to a UNCG basketball game Tuesday. It was
a close game so we stayed to see the end. It was well past bedtime. And it was
obvious. Sawyer was tired and irritated, and the next morning was really
difficult. We’re going to try to stick to bedtime.


5. What he loves:
The airport. Sawyer wants to go there. Every. Single. Day. His day is not
complete without a visit. Mostly, that’s because his buddy is there. The
airport owner’s grandson hangs out there a lot. His brother is much older. And
though he’s five years older than Sawyer, they play like brothers. We finally
just left Sawyer’s bike there because it’s a better place to ride than our
neighborhood. They play hard. And fight too. They’ve both gotten so wet and
muddy that clothes had to be stripped off and washed on the spot. Since Sawyer
is an only child, I’m glad he has a playmate. I’m tickled he has a place as
wide open and free as the airport to run around and be a boy. But it does come
with problem.
6. What he hates:
NOT going to the airport. When I say that Sawyer is disappointed to miss going,
I’m not kidding. It’s like his world is ending. When I say that I get a sigh
and an eye roll at pickup because I’m not Dad, I’m telling the truth — but only
half of the truth. Sawyer has gotten more attached to his dad lately, but a big
part of that is because Dad goes to the airport. Dad is the vehicle. If the
destination were different, Sawyer still might prefer to go with Dad. But the
end goal is mostly the airport. His desire to go there is so strong that it is
an effective punishment. Misbehave during the week, no airport. It works pretty
well, but he’s still insufferable about going every day.
7. Funniest moment:
Sawyer and I took Hank for a “hike” on New Year’s Day. It was the first day
with no rain in a week, and I was itching to get outside. It was still cloudy
and cool but tolerable with a fleece jacket. I thought about revisiting the
Chinqua Penn trail; surprisingly, Sawyer also asked to go to that “place we
hiked that had all the old buildings.” But we left the house late, and I knew
it was a bit of a drive.




I searched Greensboro trails and found one nearby that we’d
never tried. The Peninsula Trail winds alongside a lake and wasn’t too long. We
set out, with Sawyer chirping questions every few feet. We passed a few muddy
spots that we were able to walk around, a really neat fallen tree covered with
fungi and an old barn in the woods. Then we hit the real mud.




We’d gone probably three-quarters of a mile or so when the
trail disappeared under a creek. The trail snaked along around three or four
bends — covered with water. And it was not just a couple puddles; it was
inches-deep, shoe-soaking, flowing water. As far as I could see — for at least 50
feet or so of the trail — it was a soggy mess. The kind boys like Sawyer live
for! I told him that we had to turn around. We could not keep walking through
such muck. Our shoes would be a disaster for getting back in the car.

Bummed that the hike had been cut so short, I was determined to get some sense of peace out of it. Sawyer was chattering away, so I said, “Sawyer, why do many people like to get out into nature and go hiking?”

Bummed that the hike had been cut so short, I was determined to get some sense of peace out of it. Sawyer was chattering away, so I said, “Sawyer, why do many people like to get out into nature and go hiking?”
And without missing a beat, he said, “For the quiet?” I was
stunned that he nailed it on the first try.
I said, “Exactly. To hear the birds and animals and the
water and trees. How about being quiet for the end of the hike?”
Even more stunningly, he said, “OK.”
He quieted down and we walked another 50 feet or so before
he started back up.
“Hey, Mom …”
8. Sawyer says: I
usually pick Sawyer up from afterschool care. Once we’re in the car, I ask
about his day, his lunch, what he learned, etc. He usually acts exasperated to
answer my barrage of questions. But yesterday, I didn’t ask.
And he says, “Mom, you’re forgetting something.”
I came up with 10 things I might be forgetting, each more
ridiculous than the last. His “no” answers grew louder and more annoyed with
each one.
I finally said, “I give up. What?”
“You forgot to ask me about my day at school.”
I seriously can’t win.
9. Mom and Dad Say:
“Eat. Sawyer, eat. Eat your dinner. Sit down and eat.” At least 25 times at
each meal. Ray keeps threatening: When Mom and Dad are finished eating, Sawyer
should be too. (This coming from the Marine who wolfs down a huge plate of food
in less that two minutes.) That’s unlikely to happen, but he does need to learn
to sit and focus mostly on eating. I keep joking that one day we’ll look back
on this and laugh. Ten years from now, we’ll be begging him to slow down. Sit
down, talk to us. Don’t scarf your food so fast and run.
10. On our bucket
list: Hoping to start more swim lessons soon. Sawyer’s had several
go-rounds of lessons, but I guess we haven’t done continuously enough or given
him enough opportunities to practice that they’ve really stuck with him. He
also lets his fears overcome what swimming skills he does have. He gets too
psyched out to even try. Hopefully, he’ll have more opportunities to swim this
summer. So it’s time to learn in a way that sticks.
HELP ME OUT: Send me some questions for my 10 questions posts! I will seriously get tired of doing these 10 all year. I want to mix it up. Comment here or most of you know how to reach me on Facebook!
HELP ME OUT: Send me some questions for my 10 questions posts! I will seriously get tired of doing these 10 all year. I want to mix it up. Comment here or most of you know how to reach me on Facebook!


I'm glad you want to do some blogging again. You're good at it! It's really hard to post often, but it's a lot of fun to look back at previous posts. And Griffin sometimes will actually ASK me to show him some older posts and photos. No. 9 on your list sounds exactly like our house. At Griffin's school, they play classical music for a portion of lunch. And while the music is playing, there is no talking. I've threatened to do that at home, too. I told him just yesterday that if I had a nickel for every time I say the word "eat" to him, I'd be a very rich woman! I will occasionally have a "random photos" post. There's not really a theme, but just some fun photos, usually taken with my phone. I also try to add video every once in a while, just to capture how he talked at the time. As for your 10 questions, you might add "what he's learning" to talk about where he is in school. I'll try to think of some others and pass them along.
ReplyDelete