Thursday, January 28, 2016

No day like a snow day … or five

The past week has been dominated by one thing: SNOW!

The forecast was extreme: Expect snow and lots of it.

It was all anyone talked about for the week preceding this storm. The predicted snow totals grew as the storm system moved closer to the East Coast. 6 inches. 8 inches. Up to 12 inches possible in the Triad.

There was already a teacher workday planned, but the schools canceled the afterschool care Thursday night. 

We waited to see what would come. Friday morning, the ground was covered with a couple inches of white powder. Then the sleet started. It would stop and start again all day. Sometimes it would change to snow.

snow 12

My office was closed, although I had to work from home. Ray didn’t go into work either. Sawyer was DYING to go out and play. I accompanied him outside for a few minutes, but it was too cold for how I was dressed. And I don’t enjoy being pelted with ice.

snow 11

snow 10

snow 9

snow 8

About lunchtime, Ray, who’d decided to go drive around and check on some properties, asked if we wanted to get out of the house. So we loaded into the 4x4 and tooled around town for 45 minutes. The roads were terrible. Almost nothing was plowed, even though we passed several city trucks with plows.

IMG_8135

IMG_8143

We spent the rest of the day at home. With Sawyer bouncing off the walls, Ray piddling around and me trying to work. We don’t do “stuck at home” well. We both get cabin fever immediately and want to go out.

After I was finished with work, I started on dinner and ordered Ray to take Sawyer out for a while. I reminded him that he was going to be in a pilot class ALL weekend and I would be stuck trying to entertain Sawyer. So Sawyer sledded down our tiny hill while Ray shoveled. The sleet sounded more like hail when I called them to dinner.

Sawyer and I played several rounds of Connect 4 and then went to bed.

IMG_8148

IMG_8150

Ray left early Saturday for his class, and after lounging around, Sawyer and I dressed to go out. We watched a neighbor get stuck in the street. We walked Hank around the block and then found an OK hill for sledding. We have no steep hills around us, and I didn’t feel like going out and getting stuck (especially with Ray tied up in his class).

snow 7

snow 5

snow 4

snow 3

snow 2

snow 1

IMG_8167

We got in some fun sledding and then retired to the house for the rest of the day.

Sunday was nicer because we got out of the house: We went shopping, saw a UNCG basketball game and Sawyer got to sled at the airport while I went to rowing.

IMG_8174

School was out Monday and Tuesday, and it took all my patience to stay sane. Sawyer is pretty good at entertaining himself, but I believe I heard “Mom, I’m hungry” about 853 times and was asked about 26 times to help find the remote control.

I totally get Sawyer’s frustration. I remember wanting to spend every minute outside in the snow when I was a kid. But I had lots of friends in my neighborhood. Sawyer doesn’t.

My house was in a development with no traffic on snow days. And we could pretty much go anywhere or do anything we wanted. My parents’ house sits on a terrific hill, so we didn’t really have to leave our yard. Most of the neighborhood came to our hill. But we often did go check out other hills just for something different. There are no great places to sled near our house, and I don’t feel comfortable just turning Sawyer loose to play.

IMG_8165

IMG_8158

I enjoy playing in the snow to a point — but never as long as he does. It’s nice not have get out of your pajamas — but that makes me crave going out. It was a pleasure to be lax about bedtime and lunchtime and all times in between — but then I am ready for some routine.

So it was music to my ears to hear “two-hour delay” on the school district robocall.

I love the snow. But five days at home is my limit.

IMG_8177



    





No comments:

Post a Comment