We had an unexpected child-free weekend.
My mom texted me Friday: Is Sawyer’s school closed Monday?
Yes, I responded.
Would he like to come stay here for the day? (It's MLK Day.)
And, of course, the answer to that question is “without a
doubt.”
I’m pretty sure he’d pack up and move in with her if
she/we’d let him. He is and has always been crestfallen when she leaves our
house or he has to leave hers.
Anyway, this was sort of a spur-of-the-moment plan, so I
wasn’t thinking about getting ready for it.
Ray and I texted about whether he could fly Sawyer to
Hickory, because I knew the weather was supposed to be gorgeous on Saturday. He
said yes and that he’d probably bring his pilot buddy so he could practice some
things. I had decided to skip flying up with them since Ryan was coming along.
I'd have to sit in the back seat, and I knew the nerdy pilot talk would be high.
Friday night, I had some friends over for dinner and game
night. Which meant I wasn’t really free until after midnight.
After they left, I plopped beside Ray on the bed to discuss the
Saturday morning plan. He wanted to leave by 10 a.m.
Then it hit me: I hadn’t packed Sawyer’s suitcase!
I have rowing practice at 7:30 Saturday mornings in
Jamestown. That means I’m gone till about 9:30 a.m. I’d have to hoof it to get
home and get his bag packed quickly.
I briefly thought about letting Ray pack the bag, which I’m
sure he could do. But a lot of Sawyer’s laundry wasn’t put away and I knew he’d
have trouble finding things.
Thankfully, it was cloudy Saturday morning, so I had some
extra time waiting for the weather to clear enough for takeoff.
I packed a larger-than-normal duffel bag — and included snow
clothes, just in case.
They headed out, and after taking a shower, I settled down
on the couch to enjoy the quiet and watch a movie.
It’s so rare to have a quiet house. Or watch two hours of
something without interruptions. Or just have nothing to worry about but my own needs.
But I soon began to feel guilty. I could see the bright
sunshine streaming in through the den blinds. It was a gorgeous day outside,
and I was sitting inside — on the couch.
Besides, the movie was totally boring.
So I threw on my hiking boots and a light jacket, packed a
small backpack with some water, snacks and dog biscuits and chose a trail that
would be too long to attempt with Sawyer in tow.
Hank and I drove to the same spot we hiked with Sawyer on
New Year’s Day. But this time, we hiked the longer trail on the opposite side
of the road. The map said it was 3.5 miles, but to hike it down and back would
double that. I didn’t think it was too much for me, but I wasn’t sure if Hank
would last that long. It was also after 1 p.m. when we started, so I didn’t
want to push it too close to dark.
This trail skirts along the back of the airport where Ray
flies. I kept watching for planes, thinking he might be headed in from the
dropoff at Grandmother’s. The trail meanders alongside Lake Townsend and Reedy
Fork Creek, so the water was almost always in sight, and there were lots of birds to see. I passed so many cool
trees, each time thinking about how I’d point them out to Sawyer if he were
with me.
However, it was nice to just be on my own. To enjoy the quiet and
hear the sounds of the woods. The sounds of jets flying overhead to land at
PTI. The sounds of other approaching hikers.
I thought back to how much Hank and I used to do before
Sawyer came along. But also how much I like having Sawyer come with us. Even
though it’s more work and more noise to bring him, even though we can go farther and faster without him, I like his company. Hopefully, he's developing a love of hiking
and nature. I realize it probably won’t be long before he’ll be faster
and want to go farther than I can.
Hank and I did a little more than 5 miles. Probably about
double what Sawyer could do. It was nice.
We enjoyed the rest of our child-free weekend by doing
things we rarely get to do. Watched a total of FOUR (!) movies. Slept late. Watched
the snow for all of 15 minutes. Took a nap. Had a lovely dinner without once
having to tell someone to sit down, use good manners or eat the food on their
plate. We actually had a grown-up conversation! Whoa.
It’s good to have our time apart. It's nice to have a break from thinking about someone else's wants and needs. It's nice to do things I enjoy without feeling guilty or dragging along someone who doesn't want to be there. It's nice to have quiet downtime. It makes me appreciate the chatter, the extra work and the hugs even more.
My mom had called Sunday afternoon, and I finally got her on
the phone on our way to said dinner.
“Sawyer just wanted to talk to you,” she said, handing the
phone to him.
“Hey, Mom. I miss you. I love you. OK, bye!” he said, handing the phone back to my mom so he could return to playing his iPad game.
I get it. And the feeling is totally mutual, buddy.
P.S. Thanks, Grandmother!







No comments:
Post a Comment