Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Baby-proofing fail

I was still feeling the effects of a stomach bug Monday when Sawyer and I got up. I had not slept well, and I still felt a little queasy.

The den is pretty well baby-proofed, so I felt like Sawyer would be OK playing while I was semi-conscious on the couch. I was half asleep, but I had switched on my mom radar.

I could hear Sawyer rummaging through the toy bin for awhile. When it got too quiet, I woke up and checked on him.

He was sitting on the floor trying to pull something off his finger. I thought maybe he'd gotten a long hair wrapped around it.

But when I called him over and tried to pull the piece of fuzz off, I noticed it was sticky. And my illness had not ruined my sense of smell.

It was A&D oilment (which if you're unfamiliar smells like a mild Vicks VapoRub). There's a small shelf beside the changing table that holds diapers, wipes and a big old tub of A&D. I knew Sawyer liked yanking the diapers off the shelf, but it never occurred to me to move the jar.

It was smeared all over his hands, some in his hair, wiped down the door frame next to the shelf and on every toy he'd touched. And like any good diaper ointment, it really doesn't wash off easily.

Just one more reminder of the new phase we're entering as we approach toddlerhood ... and what trouble we're in for!

1 comment:

  1. Where's the picture, Jennifer. I am sitting here crying (happy tears) from reading this. You have such a wonderful way of telling a good story. I think I need a daily update of his adventures. *wink*

    ReplyDelete