It happened to us tonight.
Last night, the Hoppers game got postponed because of rain, so tonight there was a "double header" of sorts. They would finish the first game (a couple innings were left) before starting the regularly scheduled Friday game.
But they were calling for more rain. I got raincoats for all of us, and Sawyer and I headed to the ballpark much earlier than usual. Being early is a rarity for us. There were so few people there, and it was drizzling that I thought maybe they'd delayed the makeup game.
Just as we were walking through the front gate, a young Hoppers employee stopped us and asked if Sawyer would like to be a "Small Fry of the Game." He told us that meant he'd get to go down on the field at the beginning of the second game and high-five the players as they ran onto the field. Sawyer was sold and said, "YES!"
So I signed his name up, and the guy told us to come back just before the first game ended. He was so excited to go down on the field. He looked up at me and said, "I've never been on the field before except that time to get candy (an Easter egg hunt he's seen pictures of)." It made me sorta sad. He's been down on the field several times, including with Jose Fernandez, who went on to become National League Rookie of the Year two years after carrying Sawyer down to the field, tossing a ball with him and taking him through the locker room. Sawyer was only 2 at the time, too young to remember the amazing experience.
I texted Ray and some friends to tell them to hurry to the game, if possible to see Sawyer on the field. There was almost no one in the stadium at that point. I bought Sawyer a pretzel to keep him from melting down from hunger just when it was time for his big outing.
Ray was busy with a lease-signing, but he hustled over in time.
About the time we were called to go down on the field, it started raining harder. Sawyer and I had raincoats, but we were still getting soaked. We huddled under Ray's giant golf umbrella, but our shoes and pants were getting wet.
We spent a few minutes chatting with Spaz while the grounds grew took extra time getting the batter's box and pitcher's mound dry. Finally, it was time for the game to start.

A few guys carried out the Golden Arches. McDonald's is, of course, the sponsor for the Small Fry of the Game and the two boys had gotten T-shirts (Sawyer's was more like a dress, but it did match his raincoat nicely.)

Sawyer tagged hands with all the starting players. He looked pretty stoic about it, but inside, I think he was quite excited.




After announcing their names and appearing on the big screen, the boys could leave the field.

We returned to our seats, grabbed some dinner and watched the game before calling it an early night. We were freezing from the chill and the wet clothes, but we were so thrilled to have arrived early … for once.

No comments:
Post a Comment