Sunday, August 24, 2014

Summer countdown

Well, I'm officially starting the summertime blues a little early. 

I don't love summer. I am usually eager for fall to start, but it feels like summer is ending a little too soon this year. 

Actually, I think it's just that I'm realizing we didn't do all the things on my summertime fun list that we usually do. (I've definitely learned that working a normal 9-to-5, Monday-Friday shift makes fun stuff harder! We used to do way more fun things during the day when I worked at nights.)

So the pressure is on to cram in as many fun summery things as I can while the weather is still warm.

Except it wasn't that warm today. 

image

I decided to take Sawyer to the pool today, our last chance before it closed for the summer. But it was chilly and I had no desire to get wet (which I would have to do with Sawyer). So on the way there, I talked Sawyer into going to the sprayground instead. That meant I could sit and watch, instead of swim and shiver. 

There were quite a few other families there, including a few having birthday parties. But I found a quiet spot to sit and turned Sawyer loose. 

image

image

I generally try hard not to be a helicopter mom. When we got to the playground, I let him run around and play. But if we're the only ones there, he often wants me to play with him. Today, there were lots of kids his age, so he (thankfully) didn't need me to play with him. 

Unfortunately, I did have to hover though. When we were getting ready to leave, I sent Sawyer to his room to get dressed while I grabbed towels and snacks. I didn't think to check his swim trunks before we left. 

The poor kid was wearing a swimsuit that's at least a size too big. And it has a fake drawstring so it LOOKS like you can tie it tighter, but the cord doesn't run all the way around so it doesn't actually tighten. (What's the point of that?) 

His drawers were hanging precariously low all afternoon. And blasting jets and waterfalls don't really mix well with droopy drawers. I was just waiting for him to moon the entire play area. 

image

image

image

image

But he was a very good sport about me calling him over ever five minutes to hike up his shorts as far as I could. I have never wished harder for a safety pin, clothespin, duct tape or any other device I could've used to secure those pants.

image

It was cold though, and the sprayground wasn't going to be open that long. When Sawyer was thoroughly chilled … you know they're cold when they voluntarily leave the water and ask to be wrapped in a towel … I talked him into getting dressed and walking through the park, something we hadn't done before. 

Keeley Park, we learned, has some lovely pathways that take you to ponds and fishing piers. After checking them out, Sawyer managed to catch a dragonfly that perfectly matched his shirt. 

image

On our way back to the car, we marveled at the cluster of red leaves on a maple tree. A sure sign that summer … and our chance to check more hot-weather things off our list … was coming to an end. 

image



No comments:

Post a Comment