* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
On a good day, I am the first one up. On a really good day, I can get a shower before anyone else (i.e. Sawyer) wakes up. Other times, he gets up first and pitter-pats into our bedroom to rouse us.
On a recent morning, I was in the bathroom getting ready when Sawyer came in, sleepily rubbing his eyes. He hugged me and I said, "Good morning. Did you sleep well?"
His answer: "Yes, I was so tired I slept through the winter!"
Can you tell his class has been studying bears in hibernation?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Last Friday, Sawyer woke up with a high fever and that sorta half-out-it delirium that kids have when they're sick. His crying from bed woke me up earlier than normal, and I knew immediately that he A) had a fever, B) didn't feel well and C) wouldn't be going to school.
Ray had just spent two days with him at his office because of snow, and I didn't think he could manage another one, especially with Sawyer this sick. I knew Sawyer would need to stay home. So I took a sick day and tended to him.
Ray had just spent two days with him at his office because of snow, and I didn't think he could manage another one, especially with Sawyer this sick. I knew Sawyer would need to stay home. So I took a sick day and tended to him.
He was a little whiny and whimpery, and it was still a lot earlier than our normal wake-up time. As we made our way downstairs, I wondered if maybe I could convince him to go back to bed for a bit.
"Sawyer," I said, "do you want to go downstairs or do you want to go back to your bed?"
His answer was quick and certain. "I'm done with my bed. My muscles are tired of laying down."
So we proceeded to the den, where we laid down on the couch. Maybe his muscles just needed a change of scenery?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
So I decided to take him to the doctor, in case he had the flu.
You know your kid is truly sick when he doesn't ask to play with the fun toys at the doctor's office (which I've had to TEAR him away from before). He just sat in my lap or in the the chair beside me.
Finally, he leaned his head over on my arm and said, "Mom, you're a good pillow."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Sawyer joined a new class at school, just on Mondays, when I started my new job and we needed more child care.
His teacher made this neat book with all the children's pictures on half a page and names on the bottom half. It was a flip book, meant for the children to open a picture and flip to the correct name. (There was an answer key for parents.) He knows about half the children from his class last year and few of the others. But the rest? He had no clue what most of their names were.
I flipped to one little boy and Sawyer's face lit up. "He's my BEST friend!"
"Oh, really?" I said. "What's his name?"
"I don't know."
Really good best friend, huh?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"Mom, look!" he said. "This is me and Ella."
Sawyer's drawings are still pretty crude, but I could tell this was two boxy stick figure people holding hands.
"We're holding hands," he said, "because Ella is my best friend." (He's got a lot of those, huh?)
Then he told me he drew Ella "wiggly."
"Why would you make her wiggly?" I asked.
He said, "Because, you know, her hair is kinda wiggly."
Ella has very curly hair.
"Oh," I said, "you mean curly."
You can tell we're a straight-haired family.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Other times, he's totally missed the meaning of the reference. The other morning was one such time.
Me: "Sawyer, do you want one or two little sandwiches in your lunchbox?"
Sawyer: "Two."
Me: "Are you sure?" (He'd barely eaten one the day before.)
Sawyer: "I'm sure. I'll be very (though he says 'derry') hungry for my close-up."
Me: "What's a close-up?"
Sawyer: "I don't know."

No comments:
Post a Comment