Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cool diner date, daddio


I have had major cabin fever lately. 1) It's so cold we don't want to play outside. 2) I don't really have many people to talk to at work and don't do much after work, so on the weekends, I'm dying to get out of the house and DO something.

Several weekends ago I dragged Sawyer shopping to a thrift store/flea market I'd heard about on the radio. It's in Alamance County, about a half-hour from home. I knew Ray would be working all day, so we set out around lunchtime. I had promised Sawyer that we'd get a treat if he could behave in the store.

The store was large, so it took us awhile to comb through shelves of CDs, tables full of china and coffee mugs and a oodles of old picture frames. Sawyer was doing OK, but he was clearly bored. We finally found our way to the toy section, which had a whole wall of board games (one thing I was actually looking for!). He played with toys and I picked through 25-year-old games. I had to buy a version of Win, Lose or Draw! for $2. It's going to be a fun addition to our rotation on girls game nights.

We got in a huge line (the store was getting ready to close), and I knew this was going to be the REAL test of Sawyer's good behavior and my patience. Luckily, a woman opened up a second line for cash only, and I had just enough cash to pay for our three items! We made it through the line in two minutes.

I told Sawyer we'd head back to the cool place I'd spotted for a late lunch.

On the drive there, we passed through Graham, the county seat of Alamance. And it has a neat, old courthouse square ... where the courthouse is in the middle of two roads and the roads make a circle around it. Along the square are all these neat shops and restaurants. I've driven by this cute diner called Graham Soda Shop many times and wanted to stop, but I never have for various reasons.

This time, we stopped. It was already about 4 o'clock, so there were only a few people there. We grabbed a corner booth (a cold choice, but it was the only booth open), checked out the 1950s inspired decor and music (seriously, the best music in a restaurant I've ever heard) and ordered ... a burger and sweet potato fries for me and a hotdog and homemade chips for Sawyer.

Graham Soda Shop

The food was great, and Sawyer was on his A game in the behavior department. We sampled each others' fries and chips and decided to swap. And when we were done, we ordered an ice cream to split.

They had amazing-looking banana splits and brownie sundaes on the menu, but with mostly full bellies and just the two of us, I knew we'd never put a dent one of those. So we got vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce. It was tasty, though it was far too cold of a day (and a booth) for ice cream.

We hustled to the car and jumped in to get out of the wind. We were full and happy, and I knew Sawyer would take a nap on the ride home. As we were pulling away, swinging around the courthouse square, I said, "Well, that was delicious."

Sawyer piped up from the backseat: "You said it, sister."

I had no idea where he'd picked up that line (I later learned it was from Team Umizoomi), but it gave me a really good laugh. A lot of kids pick up lines from older people or TV but don't know what they mean so they often say them at an inappropriate time (which often makes it funnier).

But I'd said Sawyer really nailed it on the context and delivery of this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment