Thursday, January 9, 2014

The surprising gender reveal

I don't like strangers though I've gotten better about talking to random people as I've gotten older. Most times, though, I still try to avoid it.

Sawyer is the exact opposite. He says "hi" to practically everyone we pass at the store, in the park, at the doctor's office. Often, people's reactions surprise me. I've seen him strike up big conversations with someone I though would probably not answer him back.

And he's not afraid to ask questions.

Recently, he and I were eating dinner in one of our regular restaurants. The place was pretty empty until a couple with a baby came in and sat next to us. As soon as Sawyer saw the baby carrier, he perked up and started checking them out. I know little kids are fascinated with babies, and Sawyer has really started to show that in the past six months or so.

The mom unhooked the child from the carseat carrier and put her in a high chair. Sawyer studied her every move. I finally said something about "her."

And Sawyer said, "No, Mom, it's a him."

I said, "I'm pretty sure it's a girl." (She had on pink shoes and some pink animal on her sweater.)

"No," he assured me. "It's a boy." I decided that it was best to let it drop. I didn't need to start an argument over something so unimportant, and everyone knows 4-year-olds are never wrong. It's a challenge to convince them otherwise.

The mom had stepped away for a second, and when she came back, Sawyer leaned over and said, "Ummm, is that a boy or a gael?" (He still says girl without a much of an R sound, which just amuses me to no end.)

She said, "She's a girl. Her name is Maggie."

"Oh," Sawyer said, kind of deflated. "My name is Sawyer."

"That's a nice name," the mom said.

When Sawyer said, "Well, Mom, you were right," I had to giggle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment