Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Big boy bed

Many moms would probably like their child to stay in a baby bed for as long as possible. Delay their child's growing up as much as they can.

But I was getting tired of the crib-turned-toddler bed.

It's been a long time since I really got to redecorate anything in our house. Most of the furniture we have is family heirlooms, and it's here to stay. We have big, heavy wooden pieces that aren't easily moved and/or only fit in one spot in an old house with lots of charm but not lots of wall space.

I had been thinking we could probably move Sawyer up to a twin bed, but Ray shot down the idea. He said we should leave him in his toddler bed as long as he fit.

I was willing to wait a bit, but a friend made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Her parents were getting rid of a twin mattress and frame at a very reasonable price. The only catch? We had to come get it the next day.

I made arrangements to get Ray to come pick it up (in the rain), and we brought it home.

It was a couple days before we could set it up, and I did feel a little sad about taking apart the crib. But I enjoyed taking Sawyer shopping for new bedding. We found this great train set at Ollie's. It was cheap, and it had all the colors already in Sawyer's room. Plus it was train-related without being too babyish and without having to have more Thomas stuff.

Untitled

We made a big deal about Sawyer sleeping in his new bed and what a big boy he'd be.

It has a mesh railing that keeps Sawyer from falling out, which is good given his tendency for rolling out of bed.

So far he's done really well in it. (Though I have come home a few times to find the bed pushed out a foot from the wall.) A few times we've had to hunt for him because he's buried under blankets, pillows or stuffed animals. But Ray is right, he looks so much smaller in that great big bed.

DSC09977

No comments:

Post a Comment