Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sympathy pain

I was really late in getting my flu shot this year.


In the past, I’ve gotten one in October or November. We used to have flu shot clinics at my office, but not this year.

I was super sick for about three weeks in November and early December. Then I had Sawyer’s birthday party, Christmas and so on.

I just never got around to it. (I did get Sawyer one as soon as he wasn’t sick in early December.)

For some crazy reason, I decided that I NEEDED to get one before Ray and I went to California for a week. I was certain I’d catch something on the plane or at the airport and be sick the whole vacation.
I made up my mind to get the vaccine about a week before we were scheduled to leave.

So I went to CVS. They’d been advertising them all winter. I figured it’d be a piece of cake. I should’ve guessed otherwise.

They wouldn’t accept my insurance and told me to try my doctor’s office. My doctor’s office was out of the vaccine. The health department could schedule me … the first week of March.

And through all this discussion, waiting in line, phone calls and in and out of the drugstore, Sawyer was acting HORRIBLE.

I came close to buckling him in the car and leaving him there while I waited. He made me so mad.

Finally, I spoke to my health insurance company who said I could pay upfront and get reimbursed. So we returned to CVS to get in line for the shot.

The pharmacist came out to administer it, and I sat Sawyer up on the counter so he couldn’t escape or bump into someone while I was immobile.

He watched with wide eyes as the pharmacist stuck the needle in my arm. I don't really care for needles, though it didn't really hurt much. But I tried really hard not to flinch AT ALL because of Sawyer’s already high fear of shots.

When she was done and was sticking a bandage on my arm, he said, “Mom, did that hurt?”

I said, “Not badly.”

He said, “Well, it hurt ME.”

No comments:

Post a Comment