


Ray decided that we needed to push the issue of regular naps for Sawyer. I had long ago given up trying to get him to nap because he was usually too wired after preschool for me to get him to lie down before I leave for work. And if he sees or hears the sitter, he is ready to go outside and play.
It was not worth the half-hour to hour of screaming, crying, thrashing around in his room, especially when I also need to be upstairs getting ready for work. If he can hear me moving around, he turns up the volume on the wailing.
So about a week or two ago, I agreed to try again to get him on a regular nap schedule. But I warned Ray that A) it would not be easy, B) it was a little screwy because he gets the reward but the sitter and I have to do the work, and C) I was not going to force Sawyer to nap just so he wouldn't be cranky at the ballgame.
Remarkably, it's turned out to be easier than we feared. There are still days when he doesn't want to take a nap and will cry. But he has mostly gone without a huge fight. He sometimes plays in his room for awhile and then crashes, and that's OK.
And apparently, he likes to "read" more after the handful of books I read before naptime. It was really quiet about 30 minutes after I left him for naptime the other day. I was a little scared to open the door, in case he was playing possum.
When I did, I was mighty suprised and amused to find this scene.

Reading must be awfully exhausting.

No comments:
Post a Comment