Now, we may go months without talking. We have different schedules, heaps more responsibility, husbands, kids, houses to clean, crazy jobs and all those miles between us.
I miss her and those days dearly.
We've been trying for nine months to visit each other. Various family commitments, illness and changes to plans prevented several other trips here or there.
We emailed for weeks about Sawyer and me flying to visit her family in Denver. We finally narrowed down the dates; I fretted over the expensive airline tickets. And then I bit the bullet. I knew it was a trip I would regret NOT taking.
I can't begin to describe every detail of our fabulous week in Denver, but I can say that we had a fabulous time. Our friendship is just as wonderful and comfortable and stay-up-for-hours talking as it used to be. And now, our boys are friends, too.
Hopefully, there will be many more of these visits in our futures.
Here are some of the highlights from the (more than 900!) photos I shot during our visit.
Sawyer's first flight!
On the tarmac at Dulles after our 6 a.m. flight
Watching the jets get refueled and loaded as we wait for our flight to Denver
We went to Denver Zoo, where it felt like it was 150 degrees.

Hyenas

Giraffes

Just a little hot

Penguins

Hello, there

Peekaboo!
All three kiddos on the hippo statue

It was hard to keep everyone happy

Riding the train cheered up the boys

The "mingos"as Sawyer called them

Two little monkeys in the monkey house

Sawyer would've played these drums forever

We finished off the day with a ride on the carousel

Elliott, Jennifer and Annie
We took three kids to a diner for dinner and sundaes.

Annie was the best behaved.

Dancin' to the oldies
Cheese!

"I want candy" ... the boys each got a quarter to try the candy grabber after dinner
We visited the "beach" at Cherry Creek State Park.
The beach, the mountains and skyscrapers

Building sandcastles

Splashing

Swimming

De plane, de plane!

Cheetos at lunch
We went to the Denver Botanic Gardens for a real estate reception

The kids liked the water features best
The flowers and winding pathways at dusk were just gorgeous

I was sad we had to leave. It will be on my list for next time.
We visited the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden

Train heaven

Caboose!

We got to ring the bell on this train

Running the tracks

The water tower to fill up the steam engines

A streamlined train

My favorite ... the snow plow train

Watching the model train ride the rails

The conductor
After church, we did the sprayground, but a thunderstorm cut our visit short



We also spent many hours playing at the Milsteads' house
It was like a Thomas toyland!

The boys just wanted to play baseball.
Our flight home

The Denver airport was so empty at 5 a.m. compared to the day we arrived.

Our flight to Chicago was very full of businessmen. We read every available thing to keep Sawyer busy.

I almost never worry about a water landing ... until I noticed how far we swung out over Lake Michigan.

O'Hare was busy. Luckily, we had plenty of time and didn't have to hurry.

We skipped the shuttle and walked through three terminals to our next flight. And enjoyed the cool art along the way.

The best part? We discovered a children's museum just around the corner from our gate!

Sawyer got to fly the airplane, work in the cargo hold, weigh our backpacks and check the weather from the air traffic control tower. It was a very cool museum.
Finally home to Daddy!


No comments:
Post a Comment