Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Country Christmas Train

We had the most fun Christmas adventure this week, more fun than I imagined a farm out in the sticks could be.

My friend Margaret had seen a story about something called the Country Christmas Train in our local entertainment section. She asked if I'd heard of it since Sawyer is so crazy for trains. Surprisingly, I hadn't. We've done all sorts of trains across the state, but this one was not on my radar.

I'm so glad she brought it to my attention! It was AWESOME!

The event only runs on Thursdays-Sundays in December. We looked at going one Thursday night (the only night Margaret and I both have off), but I ended up having to work to cover for a death in someone's family.

The next week I was under the weather, but I really didn't want to miss the train. And with all the craziness going on with work (I accepted a new day job that starts right before Christmas!), I really needed to squeeze in something fun and Christmasy. We planned to go that week if I felt well enough.

Thursday was a long day for us ... we had Sawyer's preschool Christmas chapel service that morning, which my parents drove down for, and then the four of us went to the Greensboro Science Center. So we were going, going, going all day. I made sure Sawyer ate a decent lunch at the science center because I knew he'd sleep in the car. We met Margaret at our house and set out for the trip to Denton.

After about an hour, the last miles in the extreme darkness that only the country can provide, we finally found the Denton Farmpark. Thankfully, there were big signs. It was lit up so much you could see it from the road, and there were way more cars than I expected (even traffic directors ... i.e. good ol' boys with lighted traffic wands).

I was happy it was cold ... it felt more like Christmas. So we bundled up in coats, hats and gloves and followed the lights and the crowd.

I love lights and I love Christmas, but it takes a lot to really impress me. This place was impressive, if for no other reason than it was super dark and the lights really popped. Cresting the hill near the entrance, you had this grand view of the place (which none of my pictures will do justice).

_PRP0131

11469990046_80bf07336c_o


Right as we walked in, we saw the train. It rolled right across the sidewalk in front of us. And it was covered in lights.

_PRP0149

We walked around and Sawyer said, "Mom, look! It's a steam shovel!" (We have the book, "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.")

_PRP0138
 
It was just beautiful. I think because the lights were so simple. They weren't dancing or twinkling. They were just bright and pure.

We thought about getting in line for the train so we didn't miss it, but Margaret noticed the line to see Santa was pretty short. We thought we'd have enough time to see the big guy and then jump on the next train.

_PRP0153

Santa was set up in the rustic wooden train station. We had peeked in the window, so I knew the jolly old elf was the real deal (seriously, best-looking Santa I've ever seen!). As we waited in line, I told Sawyer to think about what he was going to tell Santa he wanted for Christmas.

We inched closer to the door, and finally Mrs. Claus (who looked pretty good as well) opened it and welcomed us (just us!) inside. Santa was there on his big chair, and a photographer was set up to catch your priceless memory for a mere $5 (the cheapest price I've ever paid for a Santa picture!).

I filled out the paperwork and handed over my money as Sawyer climbed up on the big guy's lap. He just stared at him, almost speechless. It seemed to me that, for the first time, Sawyer BELIEVED this WAS Santa Claus. I don't know that it had ever clicked before. He looked at him like, "Wow, it's really Santa!" 

santa1

santa3

Sawyer told Santa that he wanted a firetruck with lights and a siren and a Christmas train puzzle. Two things I'd never heard him mention before. I have no idea where the firetruck idea came from, but I bet Santa had to make some adjustments to his toy production and shopping list.


_PRP0140

_PRP0146

We posed for a few more photos before getting in line for the train, which had come back around and departed once more in the time we were seeing Santa. We didn't have to wait long, and we had a singer to entertain us with hymns and carols. Plus Sawyer had a candy cane from Santa!

_PRP0162

Finally, the train made its way back around to the station, and it was our turn to climb aboard. The train was beautiful inside. They rebuilt a bunch of old cabooses to make the passenger cars, and the inside was lovely polished wood with windows that slid open and plush bench seats.

The train set off for its loop around the farmpark, probably a mile or two, passing all sorts of lights in the trees and scenes in the fields. Shepherds and sheep, both live. Wise men and camels, only the men were real. The train rolled to a stop in front of a giant screen, where a kinda cheesy movie telling the Nativity story played. Sawyer asked me why it was playing and I said that the farm owners wanted everyone to hear the story of Jesus' birth. And he rolled his eyes and said, "Well, EVERYONE knows that." Like DUH, mom.

We passed more scenes, like the elf house (with live elves) and a few farm scenes (horse-drawn sleighs and lighted wagons), before rolling back into the station. Sawyer wanted to ride again, but I told him we only got one time on the train. I was really glad we did it early because the line was huge after we got off. Santa's line was also twice as long.

After waving goodbye to the train, we hit the "concession stand" which sold handmade gingerbread cookies (cute but bland), hot chocolate, cider and other treats. Then we stopped at the petting zoo, which had a miniature cow and donkey.

The farm was dotted with all these old buildings ... like a general store, a feed mill, a post office and a church ... some of which (like the train) were rescued from demolition from other sites and rebuilt at the farm. We walked through a few. One was like a little museum with old radios, toys and other antiques. Not too exciting for a 4-year-old.

_PRP0168

We wanted to check out the church, and we got ushered in to the small "service" where a husband and wife gave their testimony, told a little story and sang a few songs. It was nice, and luckily they were very tolerant of the children hopping around.

_PRP0175

As we walked more, we passed pony rides, and Sawyer asked if he could do it and I said yes (after asking how much it cost). There were two options: Ride one of the ponies hooked up to the merry-go-round or ride a full-size horse (led by a handler of course) through the grass. Both were $5. The horse looked like the better deal, and I was happy Sawyer chose it.

_PRP0179

While we waited our turn for Katie the horse, we enjoyed the fire, which were also scattered around the farm. (You could even buy marshmallows in the country store for roasting.) I was curious if Sawyer would be scared. The horse was pretty big, and he's never ridden one before (not even a pony). But he climbed right up.

_PRP0186

_PRP0193
Taking photos of a moving horse in the dark does not make for good pictures.

When he climbed down, he was so excited. "MOM! I was just like a real cowboy!" That made my $5 expense totally worth it.

_PRP0203
The moon kept peeking out from behind the clouds. 

We looked a food options but there wasn't much for dinner, and we were cold and hungry. So we watched the train go by once more and said our goodbyes to the farmpark. I have a feeling we've got a new Christmas tradition to look forward to next year.

_PRP0223





No comments:

Post a Comment