Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The 4th birthday

Another birthday. Where does the time go?

Whoever said that the days pass slowly but the years fly by was right on the money. It certainly doesn't seem like Sawyer's been around for four years ... that's long enough to finish college! Yet there are days when he drives us so nuts that we think he might not live to see his next birthday.

I really wanted to do something different this year for Sawyer's party. We've done trains for two years, and I thought it'd be nice to branch out. I was hoping to do a baseball theme. But Sawyer decided the only thing that mattered was having a Thomas cake. And when a 3-year-old asks ONLY for a Thomas cake, you oblige.

We had a small group this year. We've struggled with wanting to invite some kids from Sawyer's class at preschool, but not having room to invite the whole class (and all their parents) and not wanting to make anyone feel left out. So we had a few good friends of ours and a couple kids for Sawyer to play with. And most of my family wasn't able to make it ... my dad and brother were working and my nephew was sick.

_PRP0025

I did lots of food for grown-ups.. I'm still trying to overcome my "over-do-it" genes. And I had several recipes I wanted to try out. The kids were too excited to eat anyway.

And though it was far from perfect looking, Sawyer was wowed by the Thomas cake, which is all that matters. It was a four-layer cake with red, green and blue layers ... James, Percy and Thomas colors. The Thomas panels are edible sugar strips that I ordered online. It didn't work quite as well as the one my friend ordered for her son's cake, but it looked OK.

_PRP0030

_PRP0035

The kids were not a fan of wearing the party hats and glasses, even for one picture. Except Sawyer, who then didn't want to take his off.

When it was time to do the candles, Sawyer got very excited, then he realized we were going to sing. I'm not sure what his problem with "Happy Birthday" is, but he did this bored routine the whole time we sang. He also did it last year.

_PRP0037

_PRP0038

_PRP0040

_PRP0041

I think he mostly liked blowing out the candles.

_PRP0044

After the cake was eaten, he opened some gifts. He barely paused to admire each one before moving on to the next one.

_PRP0062

_PRP0056

_PRP0064

We had a nice time, and it's always special to have a house full of people who care about Sawyer. We have a great village.

No comments:

Post a Comment