We had a little moment of panic this week.
Everyone at our house was fine. It was who was NOT at our house that caused problems.
Our babysitter called in sick, and Ray was out of town, and I was scheduled to work. That leaves, ummm, no one home with Sawyer.
Luckily, she did it pretty early in the morning, so I had time to freak out and then start making calls, emails and texts to everyone I could think of to find a replacement.
After about half a dozen "sorry, I can't" responses, I called on my friend at work.
I felt bad asking, but I knew she would understand. She has a son who's a year older than Sawyer and used to work nights on the copy desk. And though her husband is not gone out of town that often, he does have to work a lot of nights covering sporting events.
Her answer -- no problem -- was a huge relief. It was absolutely no big deal. Sawyer could come hang out with them, and I could pick him up as late as I needed.
I made some arrangements with my co-workers to shift my duties around that night. I was able to come in late AND leave early, a big help.
I forced Sawyer to take a nap early so he'd be in a better mood before going. He's been to birthday parties and other events with Griffin, but never to spend this much time without me. I didn't think he'd have an issue with it, but 3-year-olds are unpredictable.
He was excited about getting to play with his friend. And though he was shy with several co-workers, he didn't batt an eyelash at going home with Griffin's mom.
He carried his backpack and took her hand and said, "Bye, Mom."
Kim said he talked the whole way home, and I got a few text messages throughout the night. One saying that Sawyer was having a great time and had told her that he loved her for making pizza. Another after I said I was on my way ... "We're playing baseball ... in the house!"
Sure enough, when I arrived about 10:15, two pajama-wearing boys were taking batting practice in the living room and running home run laps through the kitchen and hallway. We stayed a few more minutes while I caught up on the evening's activities. And then I had to tear Sawyer away from them.
He boo-hooed as I carried him out to the car. Surprisingly, he made it home awake.
I'm so thankful to have good friends who will pitch in when we're in a pinch. Especially ones that make going home so unappealing.
Monday, April 22, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment