Friday, April 19, 2013

All the little birdies

Sawyer's preschool ... and most around the area ... celebrate something called The Week of the Young Child. Preschools plan special events and fun activities. It's like spirit week for preschoolers.

At Sawyer's school, one day is pajama day (Sawyer refused to wear his to school though). Another day they have popsicles and bubbles on the playground.

The school adopts a book that everyone reads, and the culmination of the week is a parade, where each class dresses up to go with the book.

This year the book was "Feathers for Lunch," by Lois Ehlert. It's a book I bought for my mom a few years ago because because she loves birds and it reminded me of our cat, Rory.



The parade was about the cutest thing I've ever seen. The teachers make all the costumes (with the kids' help), and they outdid themselves this year.

1
First came the cats.

3
Next came the bluebirds.

FW3N3
Followed by the cardinals.

9
Then the red-headed woodpeckers. 

18
Sawyer's class was ruby-throated hummingbirds. 

kiZ2j

23
The goldfinches were a little more timid ...

24
But totally adorable.

After the parade, the birdies and teachers gathered in the courtyard to sing some songs.

70

71

57

75

I was amazed that Sawyer actually sang and performed all the motions. He usually won't participate even though he knows all the words.

Afterward, we got to have a picnic where I shared the special treats I'd made ... birds' nests with chocolate eggs.

Untitled


No comments:

Post a Comment