I love dressing up, and this year, we had a friend's costume party, a Halloween parade and party at Sawyer's preschool and his first time trick-or-treating ... three chances to get decked out.
A few months ago, I found this awesome dress while shopping at Goodwill. (I am on the lookout for Halloween costumes all year!) It fit perfectly. As I stood looking at the mirror trying to figure out what I could use the dress for, it hit me: I looked like Raggedy Ann.
Thus started my monthlong quest of finding Sawyer a Raggedy Andy outfit (which I also found at Goodwill), ordering striped socks and a wig, and getting my mom to sew my apron and bloomers.
We had fun at the party, and being Raggedy Ann was one of my favorite costumes yet. I thought we turned out pretty well, even though Sawyer did not like the makeup and made me stop after I'd just started outlining his.


Then on Halloween, I had signed up to help host Sawyer's preschool party. I made them a special snack ... Monster pudding cups ... and goodie bags.


They had a costume parade for the whole school.






I had planned for weeks for him to be a ghost, and I'd found a cute, easy-to-make costume online. Then a couple weeks before Halloween, we went to Grandmother's house so she could help sew our Raggedy Ann and Andy outfits. Sawyer started telling everyone that he wanted to be a "fider" with a web for Halloween. I went back and forth on whether to change my plan, and finally decided to let him be a spider. He is obsessed with spiders and is constantly singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider."


I took the night off from work so Ray and I could take Sawyer trick-or-treating for the first time. We set out as it started to get dark (and kids started to show up at our house, ringing the doorbell incessantly).

We'd been practicing with Sawyer to ring the doorbell, wait until they answered and then say, "Tick or treat!" Then when they gave you candy, you say, "Thank you!" He'd gotten the routine down pretty well. Unfortunately, most of our neighbors were camped out on their porches, so there was no need to ring the doorbell. And that threw off Sawyer's routine. He'd go up and see all the candy and his little mind would go blank. We had to remind him some to say "tick or treat" and "thank you," but his good manners often resulted in neighbors giving him an extra piece of candy.



We saw a real owl in the tree at this house. The dad was trying to take pictures of it. It was quite dark, but the owl turned his round head toward us and blinked those giant eyes. Then he turned back around and flew off. It was super cool!


It was getting too dark for my camera at this point. This is my artistic version of Sawyer riding on Ray's shoulders because he was getting tired.
We walked up Cypress Street, visited most houses along Percy and then headed toward home. I wanted to visit a couple neighbors we know on the street behind our house, but it was too dark to take any more photos and Sawyer's pumpkin was getting heavy. He kept asking Ray to carry it.
So before the last street, I ran in our house and dropped off my camera, hat and Sawyer's candy. Ray and Sawyer walked on and went to another house.
When I caught up to them, Ray was dying laughing. He said Sawyer walked up to the house and said, "Tick or treat." The woman dropped the candy into the empty pumpkin and it went thunk thunk. Sawyer looked at Ray and then down into his pumpkin and said, "Somebody stole all my candy!" Ray chuckled and said, "Mama took it to the house because it was getting heavy, remember?" Sawyer said, "Ohhh, OK." And all was well.
After trick-or-treating, we had some friends over for snacks and drinks. They played with Sawyer while he kept sneaking back into the living room and eating candy. When they got ready to leave, we discovered he'd eaten dozens of Tootsie Rolls from the small basket of candy we had for trick-or-treaters.

No comments:
Post a Comment