Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Life with a toddler

It's hot. Ridiculously hot and it's not even July yet. However, I'm trying to get back in the habit of walking Hank every day. I've managed to get up and get out the door (which takes me three times as long as it did before Sawyer joined us) before 10 a.m.

I was dripping with sweat before we'd gone a full mile, so I decided we'd head home and hit the pool. The baby pool, that is.

Sawyer loves water. Water in a puddle, in the dog's bowl, in the bathtub. Doesn't really matter. Ray says he's part duck. He spent hours playing in the kiddie pool last week during his stay at Grandmother's house. So I figured he'd jump at the chance to get in the pool here.

Oh, how wrong toddlers can make you.

The hard plastic kiddie pool takes so much water, so I dug out the inflatable frog pool I bought last summer and never opened. I spent 30 minutes inflating the thing. (Luckily, we have an electric pump or I'd still be out of breath.)

_PRP0143

I hooked the water hose up to it, and it sprayed water 30 feet into the air, which Sawyer didn't like. So I unhooked the hose and just filled the pool. I plunk Sawyer into it, and he wailed. I took him out and he whined. I decided maybe the mulch was hurting his feet, so I ran inside to grab his water shoes.

_PRP0168

He was happier then, but he had zero interest in the water. He picked up fallen leaves.

leaves

He swung the weathervane around and around and around, saying "Eeeeee!" every time it came around.

weathervane

He discovered all the cool buttons on Mama's camera and explored his creative side by shooting 57 self portraits.

self portrait

Finally, finally, he splashed and played in the water some.

pool

pool vertical

water cup

I'm just a servant to the fickle whims of an adorable toddler.

I guess there could be worse jobs.

1 comment: