I have been remiss in keeping up with this blog lately. And it's not because I don't have anything to write about. (It's more because A) work has been super stressful so the last thing I want to do at home is be on a computer more. B) The weather has been nicer so I am not stuck at home with nothing to do but play on my laptop. C) Sawyer is keeping me busier (no I didn't think that was possible either!)
Anyway, I will try to catch y'all up on what's been happening.
* Sawyer is a little person now. It's amazing. I told Ray that it feels like he went from being a bump on a log to being a real boy in like a week. We are enjoying "playing" with him. He loves, loves, loves the floor mat with dangling toys that we swiped from Grandmother's house at Easter. He likes to look at the dangly toys, but mostly he likes to CHEW on the toys. He's very smiley, very happy a lot of the time. He's pretty laid back about everything except hunger. He LOVES looking at himself in the mirror and is really starting to be observant of things (toys, people and Hank) around him.
* We hit our first big milestone April 10, when Sawyer rolled completely over. He'd been working on it for a few weeks, and that day I cheered him on as he finally figured out how to get that darn arm out of his way! He was so excited by my cheering that he promptly bonked his head on the floor. It's so hard to be a baby. Anyway, he rolled from back to belly, which I hear is the harder way to do it ... so he is definitely mine and Ray's child. Doing things the hard way from a young age! He continues to seem delighted to roll himself over but has not figured out how to get back to where he started.
* The teeth are really being a pain, I think. The poor kid is waterlogged by noon with all the drool, and he chews on stuff constantly. If a toy is not available, a burp cloth, his own outfit or his hands will work. However, mom's knuckle is his preferred choice for chomping. (This kid rivals a grizzly in the bite power department.) And he's just been a little crankier than usual. I attribute all his moody behavior to the teeth. :o)

* The little scamp still won't really take a bottle. (But he's not starving. The kids weighs in at 16 pounds already, more than double his birth weight.) He'll eat an ounce or so every now and then, but would rather scream bloody murder until mom gets home. Therefore, I get calls from Ray about three times a week saying, "Can you please come home early for dinner?" I don't know how we'd survive if I were unable to feed him on my dinner break. Oh the horror of that thought. I guess maybe we would've broken his resistance to the bottle by now. This joy of motherhood also means I still cannot leave him for too long, which makes it hard for mama and daddy to have a day or a date to ourselves. We're eagerly awaiting solid foods, so maybe we can stretch out my leash. It also means I have gobs of frozen breast milk that may never get used. I wonder if I could sell it? :o)
* He is a remarkably good sleeper most of the time (knock on wood). I am not gloating because I do not want to jinx us, but a few weeks ago, Sawyer started sleeping through the night and has been doing that consistently. We've even had a few nights that he slept like 11 hours straight and had to be woken up. The down side, if there is one, is that he's still not much of a daytime napper. I have to work to get him to take two naps, which makes him a happy baby. And when he does nap, it's sometimes like 10 minutes and then it's: "Hello, Mommy! I'm awake. What'd I miss?"

Other firsts and notable events
* We took him to church for the first time on Easter. Left him in the nursery, and they didn't tell us never to return, so he must've been pretty good. We're having him baptized May 9, meaning both he and I were baptized on Mother's Day.

* Sawyer also attended his first baseball game. Went to opening night for the Hoppers game, which wasn't cold but was a complete washout after a couple innings. The next night we took him to the doubleheader makeup game, which was freezing. He made it through about 6 innings and the downtime between games before he got really hungry. I fed the poor boy, stuffed into a heavy coat and two hats, in the ladies restroom. Got him ALMOST asleep before they played "Duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-da, CHARGE!" and jolted him awake. So he and I packed up and came home early.
* Our new babysitter, who we jokingly call Mary Poppins, started last week, and I cannot say how much I love her. She is super, super sweet, and after just a few days already seems like she loves Sawyer like he's her own grandchild. She practically snatches him from me when she gets here, kisses him and says, "How's my boy?" We totally lucked out on her. I hope she stays forever!
I guess that's about it. Time is flying, and I realize it every day. I was looking through pictures recently from the hospital and our first week home and I nearly cried. I can't believe this little creature has grown and changed so drastically in such a short time. (Mostly, I'm just sad he doesn't have all that great hair anymore.) I better not blink or he'll be in kindergarten!

So glad things are going better and that you have a new, and fabulous, baby sitter. As for the storage of breast milk, you might be able to donate it to milk bank in the area.
ReplyDelete