When Sawyer was little, we
spent tons of time together — just the two of us.
I worked nights, which meant we
spent a good chunk of the day together, even when he started preschool. On my
weekday weekends, we often went somewhere fun — Tweetsie, the children’s museum
or the science center. And we logged plenty of overnight trips.
That quality time is a lot more
rare now. He’s at school and I’m at work all week. We have a few hours together
in the evening, but that time is often packed with chores and errands. He’s
much more into hanging out at the airport (and his buddy there) than riding the
rails at Tweetsie or going hiking with me.
So when I realized that we’d
have a full day off together on Good Friday, I decided we needed an adventure.
I let Sawyer choose between going to the zoo and going hiking, and he surprised
me by picking a hike.
I chose Pilot Mountain State
Park for several reasons. Despite living here this long and growing up just 90
miles west, I’d never been there — unless you count by air. Ray and I flew two
lazy loops around the pinnacle in the first flight we took after he got his
pilot’s license. And of course, I’d driven by the peak on my way to Mount Airy
a few times. I showed Sawyer a picture on my phone, and he thought it was cool.
It also wasn’t a long drive and
wasn’t too far off course for our second destination: Grandmother’s house for
Easter.
The weather was absolutely
beautiful, even a bit hot for late March. And we chatted and played car games
on the hourlong drive.
We drove through the campground
just to see what it was like; Sawyer peppered me with questions the whole way.
His excitement grew as our car wound its way up the curvy drive to the summit,
almost like the buildup of cranking a Jack-in-the-Box. When we parked, he was
itching to pop out of the car and see everything.
We walked around Little
Pinnacle, which was packed with people. There were about five overlooks with
amazing views of the surrounding farmland. A few of the spots had giant
boulders to climb over or through. At the overlook of Big Pinnacle, I pointed
out the trail below and how small the people looked.
Sawyer decided we should walk
that trail. So we checked our map; it was less than a mile long, so we headed
off.
The
whole loop was an educational experience — mostly teaching Sawyer what NOT to
do. (I'm thankful my parents taught us these lessons.)
Chucking that piece of gravel
off the side of the mountain? Consider how hard it must’ve been for workers to
get that gravel to this trail. And then think about why it’s here: to keep the
trail from washing away and getting muddy every time it rains. The gravel needs
to stay on the ground.
Climbing the rocks? Bad idea.
See those signs; they say it’s illegal — that means against the law — to climb
here. So, yes, even though other kids are doing it, we’re going to follow the
rules. When we passed the parents who had let their older son climb so high he
was out of view and their other child, who looked no older than 4, scale 30
feet above the trail to an outcropping, I told Sawyer they were idiots. Imagine
how long it would take for an ambulance to get here, I said. They’d have to drive up
that long, winding road and then they’d have to HIKE in here to rescue someone.
Want to pick a flower or a
leaf? What if every person did that when they walked by? Sawyer’s guess: They’d
go to jail? Telling him it was illegal climb the rocks must’ve done the trick! Well,
probably not. But soon, there’d be no flowers or leaves (or sticks or mushrooms
or whatever natural thing you came there to see) left to see.
This spot was so cool. The rocks were flat and almost looked like a pool of hardened lava.
“That’s why Daddy and I make
sure you understand the rules and fuss at you when you ignore them,” I told
him. “People who just ignore the rules often ruin places for everyone else.
“We want you to be someone who
grows up to follow the rules.”
Sawyer, who was holding my hand
as we hiked back out to the car, looked up and said, “Like you are?”
It was maybe one of the best
compliments I’ve ever gotten.
I said, “Yes, son. Following
the rules may not always make you popular, but it will usually keep you out of
trouble.”
After our short hike, I
convinced Sawyer that we should drive into Mount Airy for lunch. We walked
around the touristy Main Street, popped into a few stores (including Opie’s
Candy Shop where we picked out strange candy, waiting forever for our hamburger and hotdog at
a lunch counter and got ice cream cones for the stroll back to our car.
He was so eager to get to
Grandmother’s house that he hadn’t wanted to come into town, but he admitted
that it had been fun.
That was my goal, kiddo.






















I am glad you had a nice day. Love the pictures....and the story. I am not the kind of person who enjoys a hike....or anything outdoors, really. But I like your story and I like that Sawyer learned some valuable lessons. I get ticked off when people don't follow the rules, too. Never thought about the gravel being brought there on purpose. Even I learned something from your trip!
ReplyDelete