When I started my new job, I knew we wouldn't be able to go to Tweetsie as often or during the week, but I decided to go ahead and keep our season tickets. It takes 3-4 visits for them to pay off, though, so I was determined we'd strive to make at least that many trips.
That turned out to be a struggle.
After my bad ankle sprain in the spring, we weren't able to visit for several months. I knew walking up and down the steep hills there would be disastrous for me.
We didn't miss Thomas when he came in June. We came to see the fireworks with friends for the Fourth of July but didn't visit the park that time. By late August, we hadn't made another trip, and we were running out of time.
I am stubborn enough and cheap enough to do things that are somewhat impractical just to feel like I'm getting the value out of what I've spent. So even though we were busy, we crammed in a day trip to Tweetsie in September.
And if that wasn't enough to cram in, I tacked on apple picking to the day.
It was a long day but we did have fun. We took our two-seat sports car, which Sawyer has dubbed "the fun car." Now that he can sit in a booster seat, he can ride in the Toyota. And he wants to take it everywhere. It's too small for longer trips or camping, but it was just right for a day trip.
Thankfully, the weather was good at Tweetsie. It wasn't too crowded either, which is always a nice feature.

A camera test shot at its finest!
Normally, I'd let Sawyer choose where to go and what to ride next, but because we only had a few hours, we tackled the park more methodically this trip. We started at the top of Miner's Mountain and worked our way down.
It amuses me how much he loves the Mouse Mine train, which I think is totally lame.




We fed the animals. This is always my favorite stop. I just wish you could reach the animals better. I was tempted to take one of those piglets home with me.






And then Sawyer HAD to play on their playground. Kids befuddle me. There are playgrounds on every corner at home. He goes to one practically every day, sometimes twice a day at school. But you take them to a special park or the baseball stadium … somewhere you don't get to go every day, and they want to play on boring old playground equipment.
Finally, we rode the chair lift back down to the middle of the park and hopped right on the Ferris wheel.
Trying to smile
Not trying
We grabbed a quick lunch and then headed down to ride the train, our last ride.
Notice a trend with the "trying" to smile photos?
Every time I see the cowboys and Indians show, I'm just stunned that they get away with it. The guns, the shooting, the badly coiffed Indi- ... ahem, Native Americans. I can't believe people don't protest.
After our ride, we walked out to the edge of the property … as far as you can go without crossing the trestle and getting into trouble. Sawyer was a little freaked out by the volume of the whistle that close to the train.
We stopped for one last picture and then headed on to our next adventure: apple picking!





















No comments:
Post a Comment