
Tweetsie's season ends with Halloween. I had planned all summer to make one last trip before it closed, and I really wanted to see the Ghost Train. But the recommendation is for kids 8 and older. I thought it might be too scary for Sawyer, but I decided the week before to try to make it to the Ghost Train. I figured we could see the park lit up and decorated and then leave if it was too scary.
We went up during the afternoon and had a little picnic on the parkway so get to see some nice fall foliage. We enjoyed seeing the Halloween decorations during the daytime.


And we had to leave for the park to close and get set up for the Ghost Train. I had hoped we could leave in time and be tired enough to take a nap between day and night. But the nap didn't happen.
It was chillier than I had expected so we drove into Boone and bought cheap gloves and hats. Sawyer was on the verge of melting down, but we managed to make it to dinner and eat. And that perked him back up.

It was cool to see the park transformed with all these orange and purple lights. There were lots of neat touches, but many of the special attractions were too scary for kids (like the Haunted House and Freaky Forest). We did a psychedelic maze and went trick-or-treating. We rode a few rides and then we decided to TRY the train. There were a few other young kids on it, so I thought we might be all right.
We had wait in line one cycle of the train, but there was lots going on to watch along "Main Street." And I let Sawyer have some of his trick-or-treat candy while we waited.
We were among the first to get on the next train, and I think the conductors and actors weren't out to scare such a little boy. We were doing fine, and the things we passed on the train weren't too frightening ... some skeletons and fire balls and loud noises. We were almost around the last bend when Sawyer gave out this little whimper. I thought something had scared him, but I wasn't sure what. Then I realized he was sick. He started throwing up, and instinctively, I cupped my (thankfully gloved) hands under his mouth. It wasn't too bad, and I grabbed the trick-or-treat bag.
We luckily missed the scariest part during the barfing ... a man with a chainsaw running through our car. We finally made it back, and I knew we were done. Sawyer didn't even protest. We got cleaned up and I changed him into pajamas for the ride back to my parents' house. He was asleep before we left the parking lot.
It was fun, but we might save the Ghost Train for a few years down the track.

No comments:
Post a Comment