My mom and I remember taking my cousin, who is 17 years younger than me, to her first movie: "101 Dalmations." Or as she called it (and we have since) "101 Malmations." She was just a few months past her second birthday.
The truth is, nothing had come out at the movies that I thought would interest Sawyer (or me). I figured he'd have a hard time sitting still for almost two hours, so I wasn't going to rush it just to check off that experience on our list.
Then a month or so ago, I started seeing commercials about "Finding Nemo" coming back out in theaters. This time in 3-D. And I got excited.
Sawyer knew Nemo already though I've never really been sure how. We do have a book with Nemo and friends, but it's a musical book so it's not one we've read over and over.
Anyway, I decided this might be worth a try, especially since I had never seen "Finding Nemo" and wanted to see it, too.
The weekend shows didn't work well with our schedule, so I planned to go on a Thursday afternoon. I'm off from work on Thursdays. I figured the theater would be less crowded, and we'd get the cheaper matinee price.

I check the theaters to find the earliest showing I could. I didn't want to risk bumping into naptime and having Sawyer conk out halfway through. The first showing of the day was at 1:30 p.m., but it was at one of our older, not-as-nice theaters. It was also the cheapest, so I decided to risk it.

We got inside, and Sawyer was going crazy over the popcorn. I had already told him we'd get popcorn. I bought our tickets and was surprised when they didn't charge me for Sawyer. I was tickled that they had 3-D glasses for kids. (It even had Nemo on the frame.) I got popcorn and a drink, and we headed into the theater.

I was surprised and delighted to see that we were the only ones there. Sawyer hopped into his seat and started munching on popcorn. His eyes were wide taking in the scene. I snapped some pictures of him, and then the movie was ready to start. (And I decided I'd better heed the warning to not use cameras or recording devices!)

When I put the 3-D glasses on him and the first preview came on, Sawyer's eyes got as big as saucers and he said, "Wow!" It did have some cool 3-D effects where it looked like the critters' tongue was coming right over your head.
He was tired of sitting about five minutes into the movie. But he did watch most of it ... standing up in front of me. He'd come over and get popcorn or a drink every few minutes. He wanted to explore and I let him walk up and down our row (probably setting a bad precedent).
The only time things got ugly was when he dropped the straw from our drink on the floor, and I yelled at him not to pick it up and use it. "I neeeeedd a straw!" he wailed. I thought we'd either have to leave or I'd have to go get a new straw, but he finally settled down and watched the rest, mostly from my lap.
It was a cute movie, though I know some of it was lost on Sawyer. My favorite was the very subtle reference to nitrogen narcosis (aka rapture of the deep), something you learn about in scuba diving. That made me laugh out loud because it was such an obvious thing for adults.
Sawyer has still been asking questions about the movie, days later. And he points out Nemo whenever we see him in stores.
We were lucky because the place was empty, so I didn't have to worry that Sawyer's behavior would disturb someone else (other than myself). I'm not in any big rush to take him to another film, but I'm glad his first one was a hit.


No comments:
Post a Comment