Sunday, April 10, 2011

Six on Saturday, April 9, 2011

_PRP0183

It was a good week, despite a scary storm that woke Ray and me up from a deep sleep (Sawyer didn’t make a peep) and getting bonked on the forehead with a toy hard enough to bleed and cause a huge knot. It’s getting warmer, which means we’re getting outside more … something we both love. We’re looking forward to some good times in the next few weeks … an Easter egg hunt, opening night at the Grasshoppers and a friend’s wedding. And Mama is counting the days until her two classes end and she only has one more semester to finish! Here’s a look at some of the things I have been loving about Sawyer this week!

1. Bubbles: Sawyer has become a huge fan of bubbles. There’s a bottle of bubbles on the porch. Anytime we go outside, he makes a beeline for them. He laughs when I blow them, but I haven’t gotten him to try blowing on the bubble wand himself. This week, I learned he also has an affinity for bubble gum bubbles. Linda, our regular sitter, blew a bubble on Wednesday and he started dancing and making the sign for more. She laughed and told me he loves to watch her blow gum bubbles. Thursday, I was putting him in the carseat and absentmindedly blew one. He stared at me and started clapping. So the whole way to the grocery store, I blew them and he would clap.

2. Reading books: If you’ve seen our house, you know Ray and I are HUGE book people. We have books in every room of the house and love to read. Ray plows through books. We’ve long hoped Sawyer would share our love of reading, and I’ve been reading to him since he was born, even though he rarely sat through a whole book once he was mobile. Until now. He has become a huge book fan this week. He’ll bring me a book, climb on my lap and turn the pages as I read it. Then I’ll hand it back to him, say, “Go get another one,” and he will. Over and over again. It tickles me to death, and I hope he never gets tired of reading them.

3. Hiking: Someone loaned us one of those backpack carriers for babies when Sawyer was very little. He didn’t really grow into it until December, when we carried him around at Greensboro’s Festival of Lights. Since it’s been getting warmer, I had been thinking it was time to bring it back out. I figured it would be something different from riding in the stroller, allow us to go to different parks and be a good workout for me. My friend Margaret loves to hike and invited us to go with her Wednesday. We picked a park close by that had fairly short, easy trails, a dog park and a playground. Perfect for everyone! I couldn’t see his face (and I unfortunately forgot to get a picture of us), but I think we both enjoyed it. It wasn’t quite as painful for me as I expected carrying an extra 30 pounds around would be. Sawyer leaned on my left shoulder so he could see where we were going, and through parts of the trip he kept one hand on top of my ball cap (not really sure why he did that but it amused me). I was pretty sore the next few days, but I think we will definitely keep using it.

4. Playing in the dirt: Sawyer was bored and cranky Thursday afternoon, and it was too pretty to stay inside. We went outside and looked at flowers, tromped through the yard and then Sawyer made a boy’s dream discovery: a bucket of dirt. He found a flower pot with dirt but no flowers in it and spent the next 15 minutes sifting out handfuls of dirt. I had a blast watching him, even though I knew I’d have a mess to clean up before I put him down for a nap. His hands and clothes were filthy, but he had a ball doing what boys do best.

_PRP0155

5. Strawberry love: Sawyer has eaten plenty of strawberry foods in his short life: baby food, yogurt, cereal bars and muffins. But I’m not sure he’s ever really chowed down on real strawberries. When it was peak strawberry season last year, he was just starting on solid food and I had read strawberries could upset some baby tummies. He probably tasted one or two later in the summer, but never really got to dive into a batch. I bought two containers of huge strawberries, knowing it was still early in the season, but hoping they’d be edible. And he has LOVED them. We polished off a whole quart in just two days. He’s scarfed them down like candy. I don’t think I would eat strawberries as a kid. Not sure when that changed, but I hope Sawyer never grows out of liking them.

_PRP0249

6. Open/closed: It continually amazes me at how toddlers are amused by the simplest things. Sawyer has gotten much better about bedtime, so I’ve been able to put him to bed on my nights off without a major meltdown the past couple weeks. He was standing on the changing table Friday as I was getting his pajamas on, and I blinked a few times and he giggled. We were face to face so I tried it again, except I closed my eyes for two second and then opened them really wide. He cracked up. Each time I did it, he laughed harder, which of course cracked me up, too. This went on for a good 10 minutes. We got loud enough that Ray’s video gaming buddies (who can hear him through a microphone) asked what was going on, and Ray told them we were entertaining each other. Indeed we were!

And a few extra pictures ...

_PRP0075
Remember the dreaded Cookie Monster? Not afraid of it any longer

_PRP0227
Dinner picnic in the park

_PRP0133
Enjoying the flowers

_PRP0109
One dandelion

dance
An impromptu dance in the yard

_PRP0213
Have a good week!

1 comment: